Newton Aycliffe is a nationally important engineering, manufacturing and distribution location. The businesses located here enjoy a local recruitment catchment pool of over 608,000 people and over 2.5 million regionally. It is also home to the UTC South Durham, a technical school for 14–19 year olds with a strong focus on helping young people secure work within local manufacturing industries.
The region’s Higher Education sector offers a ready supply of graduates in engineering subjects, amongst others. With 9.4% of those unemployed being qualified to NVQ level 3 or higher, this provides a very important, qualified and skilled target group for recruitment.
Merchant Park is a proven location with the newly opened Hitachi Rail Freight terminal and manufacturing facility. Moreover, Newton Aycliffe is home to many international companies including Formica, Ebac, 3M and Lidl.
Merchant Park is on J59 of the A1(M) and has two ports and two airports within 40 minutes travelling time.
- Darlington 5 miles | 10 minutes
- Durham Tees Valley Airport 11 miles | 22 minutes
- Durham 19 miles | 21 minutes
- Teesport 24 miles | 39 minutes
- Port of Tyne 33 miles | 37 minutes
- Newcastle Airport 34 miles | 38 minutes
- Leeds 66 miles | 1 hour 25 minutes
- Edinburgh 153 miles | 3 hours 15 minutes
- Glasgow 174 miles | 3 hours 24 minutes
- Birmingham 174 miles | 3 hours 16 minutes
- London 253 miles | 4 hours 40 minutes
Durham Tees Valley Airport and Newcastle International Airport have direct flights throughout Europe.
The Port of Tyne and Teesport are both within a 40 minute drive time providing onward connections to the major UK, European and Worldwide Freight Ports.
In conjunction with Durham County Council as part of the overall development of Merchant Park, a Great Crested Newt ‘kingdom’ was created to the south of the site to relocate this protected species. With over 2000 trees planted, the landscaped waterway creates a new bio-diverse landscape for wildlife to share with the occupants of the park.